Thread: REPERTOIRE GAPS: Chamber Music (2-5 instruments)

Page: prev 1 2 3

Post by krisjan March 22, 2011 (21 of 26)
I've been reluctant to contribute to the "gap" threads because I have a somewhat contrarian view than most. For me, I'd like to see previosuly unknown composers/compositions on SACD rather than new recordings of works that have already had very good RBCD performances. Discrete surround sound aside (which I understand as a motivation for those so equipped), I am looking for 2-channel SACD releases that I play back in my system using surround synthesis for the rear channels. This allows me to take any 2-channel recording (whether RBCD or SACD) and create a credible and palbable three-dimensional sound field.

I recently bought Jadassohn's piano trios 1-3 on Toccata Classics RBCD. This is a wonderful release of previously unknown romantic works. I wish it were an SACD but with my set-up, I get a nice 3D sound stage from the 2-channel recording. The same applies to the piano trios of Rontgen - the Storiani have already released one SACD with another on its way. Great romantic trios. These are the types of repertoire I am seeking on SACD. I really don't want/need any more "mainstream" works.

Post by SteelyTom March 22, 2011 (22 of 26)
I'd love to see some Morton Feldman on SACD. Hat Art issued its Feldman before the SACD era, and Mode Records is issuing its Feldman Edition in 24/96 hi-res.... Works like his second string quartet, Piano and String Quartet, Violin and String Quartet, etc. are perfect for the medium.

Post by Jonalogic March 24, 2011 (23 of 26)
Fugue said:

Haha, no, flute, 2 violins, cello, and harpsichord. Can you point me to one of the nasty reviews? I can't seem to find any. (For the record, there might be a tiny flash of iffy intonation here and there, but these are very "live" sounding performances.) I'm very curious to see what the issues are for these critics.

See amazon.de, for instance. Howver, if the only issue is no flute and some re-ordering, I shall certainly purchase!

Post by Jonalogic March 24, 2011 (24 of 26)
Shostakovcih violin sonata op134. A stunning piece!

Post by Iain March 24, 2011 (25 of 26)
Beagle said:

In parallel with the solo piano thread, I am opening this one to focus discussion of what's missing on SACD in the Trio, Quartet and Quintet genres. I'm at work right now, but this evening I will add a census of missing Haydn Quartets.

I hope Praga will eventually have all 4 Schoenberg string quartets released.

Currently, 3 and 4 are available; need 1 and 2 to complete.

Post by Ernani71 March 24, 2011 (26 of 26)
Shostakovich: Piano Quintet (there's one issued by Praga, but expensive and with limited availability).

Page: prev 1 2 3

Closed