add to wish list | library

10 of 10 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the paid links below. As an Amazon Associate SA-CD.net earns from qualifying purchases.

amazon.ca
amazon.co.uk
amazon.com
amazon.de

amazon.fr
amazon.it
CDJapan
jpc

Discussion: Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Nos. 30, 31 & 32 - Pollini

Page: prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Post by Chris July 16, 2014 (61 of 62)
Polarius T said:

Maybe check your speaker and LP/stylus condition: that's not how this recording comes across, although of course nothing recorded in 1975 and 1977 compares to what's possible today, which is 40 years later. That goes without saying. But for their period, these recordings are notably good. Pollini at his best, served excellently by DG engineers. The combination is self-recommending.

Maybe more a question of,as so often,a not so good recording from DGG in the first place and /or a bad copy of the LP than my stylus. If you read my post regarding the early Telarc Soundstream LPs,I can play them at levels and with dynamics that even challenge some SACDs.
Whenever I suspect there is something wrong with my stylus I play either a Direct Cut LP or one of those and quickly realize that the problem is with the LP and recording not my stylus.
"Diamonds are forever".
Or I liked it so much in my youth that it has been very worn down from many many,spins. Whenever I see a copy of it again I'll buy it.

Post by SteelyTom July 16, 2014 (62 of 62)
Polarius T said:

But for their period, these recordings are notably good. Pollini at his best, served excellently by DG engineers. The combination is self-recommending.

That's my feeling about the sound DG got for Pollini during that era. My redbook CD versions of his Beethoven, Prokofiev, and Schubert recordings of that vintage are quite acceptable and faithful to his rather cool sonority and approach.

Page: prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Closed