add to wish list | library

7 of 8 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the paid links below. As an Amazon Associate SA-CD.net earns from qualifying purchases.

amazon.ca
amazon.co.uk
amazon.com
amazon.de

amazon.fr
amazon.it
CDJapan
jpc

Discussion: Roxy Music: Country Life

Page: prev 1 2

Post by rammiepie May 19, 2015 (11 of 16)
windhoek said:

Excellent news and I can't wait to buy :)

Also upcoming is XTC's Oranges and Lemons, as well, also a Steve Wilson remix.

ROXY in 5.1..........can't wait! Will always consider the SACD 5.1 of Avalon a treasure! Roxy Music: Avalon

Post by windhoek May 19, 2015 (12 of 16)
Sadly the Avalon SACD was already £50 or so when I arrived at the 5.1 party, so has remained out of my budget. If it gets a BD-A release though, I'mll be ready to pounce...like a Walmart Black Friday shopper ;0)

Post by rammiepie May 19, 2015 (13 of 16)
windhoek said:

Sadly the Avalon SACD was already £50 or so when I arrived at the 5.1 party, so has remained out of my budget. If it gets a BD-A release though, I'mll be ready to pounce...like a Walmart Black Friday shopper ;0)

Actually, Avalon and Boys and Girls Bryan Ferry: Boys & Girls are two spectacular 5.1 SACDs. Hopefully, they'll be re~released at a much saner price.

I was able to buy them cheaply......back in the day.

£50 buys a LOT of 3D BD~Vs ;-O

Post by Marpow May 19, 2015 (14 of 16)
rammiepie said:

Also upcoming is XTC's Oranges and Lemons, as well, also a Steve Wilson remix.

ROXY in 5.1..........can't wait! Will always consider the SACD 5.1 of Avalon a treasure! Roxy Music: Avalon

Oh boy another $100.00 disc, not.

I will remain patient for reissue.

Post by Rickko May 19, 2015 (15 of 16)
fausto K said:

Thanks Rickko for your excellent review of this disc. It confirms my suspicions about the inferiority of this SACD (as was indeed already noted by current93)....

Although I don't think the 1999 redbook is as bad as you suggest (is it really that much inferior to an already bad SACD?), I mostly listen to the US vinyl remaster of a couple of years back (the Capitol Vaults remaster), which sounds slightly better (but this may just be due to the fact that the intrinsic noise of vinyl replay conceals the brightness of the recording somewhat)

I should note that although indeed the limitations of this disc probably relate to recording decisions, the fact that John Punter was involved is in itself immaterial, as he was also involved as engineer for the two previous albums For Your Pleasure and Stranded, which sound fantastic.

btw, at least the first album has been confirmed earlier this month, by Wilson, for 5.1 release:

Hi fausto K,

Thank you for your comments on Country Life.

Yes, I found this version on SACD inferior from my listening experience but I did not say it is a bad SACD. AS for the RBCD 1999 version, I find it to be below the calibre of the SACD and I listed some reasons. The 1999 is still a good CD with reasonable sound qualities. Bob Ludwig mastered this RDCD and I generally like his work but I assume Virgin Records wanted a "hot" (louder) sound so compression was used (if they pay you well do it, I suppose).

I always do edits on my reviews for minor adjustments or clarifications. Based on your comments, I made a few minor edits.

I added just a bit more detail in describing the 'SACD was notably superior to the 1999 version as it exhibited a "nice warm (with a touch of brightness) and smoother sound" even with the aforementioned limitations'.

I respectfully disagree with your comments about John Punter, engineer as being immaterial to Country Life. As audio engineer, he had the responsibility for the mixing and reproduction of sound on this album. But to be fair, others can play a role. So I added the following sentence "Roxy Music and John Punter produced this record so band members may have played a role in these mixing decisions".

I also did an edit to reflect confirmation of the Steven Wilson remix for the self titled Roxy Music. Thank you for this information.

Also, I point out this thread has a few other posters who expressed opinions that they were pleased with the audio quality of this SHM SACD.

Post by fausto K May 20, 2015 (16 of 16)
Rickko said:

Hi fausto K,

Hi Rickko,
thanks for your reply.

As to John Punter, I suggested that he was also involved, as engineer, in the two previous albums FYP and Stranded, so *the fact alone* of his being the engineer of Country Life couldn't explain the "muddy" quality of COuntry Life. But I checked the credits on those LPs again, and while, as you say, Punter produced Country Life (whilst also being the engineer), the earlier ones were produced by Chris Thomas. This could have played some role, whatever it is. (I take it the producer of a record has over-all responsibility.) At any rate, some decisions were made for COuntry Life that caused the inferior sound, compared to the earlier albums.

Anyway, thanks again for your enligthening thoughts about the SACD of Country Life. I wish every review here were as clear and informative.

Page: prev 1 2

Closed