Thread: Dealers' Interrelationships : Fast—Friends or Insidious—Itinerant ¦ Today and Yesterday ¦ What Might Be Lying Between...

Page: prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Post by rammiepie May 14, 2014 (71 of 78)
Fitzcaraldo215 said:

As I said.

As you said exactly WHAT?

If humorless hypocrisy is your ultimate endgame, Fitz, then YOU have succeeded!

Wilhelm's thread deals with dealer relationships: I asked a very "significant" question regarding the Baelis: will it pass 4K video to which you (Fitz) replied {paraphrased}: probably not since no standard has been set in stone and that NO 4K material is available other than SONY's hard drive encoded material to which I replied Netflix and now Amazon will be streaming 4K material to which you had NO reply other than to agree with Zeus that this is, after all, a music site.

My question to Kal Rubinson who will be reviewing the Baelis XR2 was will it be able to handle 4K material and my exchange with Kal was friendly and civil to which he replied he had NO interest in video as pertains to his upcoming Music In The Round review of the Baelis; but since fellow Absolute Sound reviewer Andy Quint did mention that the XR2 was a better choice if high res video was a concern, I thought with the IMPENDING 4K launch it might be of concern to potential buyers.....and a 'cursory' mention in Kal's review perhaps 'might' be beneficial.

A quick phone call to Baelis would've immediately answered my query but since, I, personally, have no immediate need of the Baelis XR2 (or any Baelis products, for that matter) and still prefer physical hi res music and current BD~V discs.........like Kal (jokingly) mentioned above: Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn............ and I don't either....other than a point of reference.

I will, however, be looking forward to Kal's comprehensive review of the XR2 for FUTURE REFERENCE should the time come when a product of Baelis' caliber does indeed address the 4K question (perhaps in the form of a separate piece of gear ganged to Baelis' existing 'mainframe').

Whether we like it or not, Audio and Video are intertwined and how many times, Fitz, have you extolled the virtues of Opera and Classical BD~V: let me count the ways.....NUMEROUS to be sure!

Yes, this IS first and foremost, a music site but like it or not, with the 'relative' paucity of hi res music only discs (most especially 5.1), BD~V does satisfy a very important niche, across ALL genres, for the enjoyment of hi res lossless audio and visuals! Videophobes can always turn off their monitors and enjoy the hi res music on its own merits!

Post by Fitzcaraldo215 May 14, 2014 (72 of 78)
I am not disagreeing with anything you say, except to note that the whole 4k thing and the Baetis, for that matter, are really not on topic to the thread or even to the site. I agree with Zeus, that at this point, discussions of 4k do not really belong at sa-cd.net, even with its recent expansion of scope. It is still a music site, not a video site.

I did perpetuate your going off topic by responding to your questions, thereby being off topic myself. But, I thought it better to provide some reasonably thorough answers to your musings in order to be done with them, rather than arguing with you about being on topic, which is something your track record indicates you seldom have any concern about at all.

Post by rammiepie May 14, 2014 (73 of 78)
Absolutely NO doubt, Fitz, I have a proclivity to digress (and I'm NOT the only one), but if one remembers, a short time ago Zeus was opposed to topics covering BD~A and especially downloading (which translated into NO revenue for SA~CD.net) and were considered wildly OFF topic (OT)!

Even though you and I are both in agreement that the PCM/DSD output debate is of little or no consequence, I was attracted to the potential that perhaps 4K might include a DSD codec as evidenced by Sony's shooting one of the first 4K videos utilizing a DSD codec and since a lot of posters are tittilated by DSD as opposed to PCM recording technologies (remember the backlash at Bissie for abandoning DSD and then his 24/44.1 recordings) an interest in 4K might 'eventually' arise.

BTW, the nature of this particular thread with what I call "hashtag" What Might Be Lying Between encompasses a very broad spectrum, IMHO and mention of the Baelis was based initially on an ad I saw in this month's issue of Sound/Vision and what I thought would include handling of SACD stereo/multichannel via a computer based device as well as DVD~A and BD~A/V. Of course, NOT the case with SACD (which was later clarified).

Then of course Euell Neverno (good ole Euell) has to chime in with Strike One, Two and Three and You're OUT and then his Cheech and Chong Bong references which further sparked the fire.

It's bad enough that everywhere we go we are 'tracked' by either satellite, street cameras and/or hidden recording devices (video and audio) and even on SA~CD.net the "thought police" are in evidence (for apparent reasons: to keep things civil) and I will attempt (hopefully, successfully) to keep things on track but when I read posts that are hardly relevant to the thread or things I find uninteresting (I am NOT a downloader and entire threads are permeated with download info which generates no dividends for this site), I NEVER go on the attack as I respect their freedom of speech and it is not up to me (Zeus/Polly's job) to censure said posts/threads.

But I do respect your "concerns" which are hardly unwarranted and will certainly take them under advisement.

Post by Euell Neverno May 14, 2014 (74 of 78)
rammiepie said:

Absolutely NO doubt, Fitz, I have a proclivity to digress

Truer words have, doubtless, never been said. Write it on the blackboard 100 times. Oh, and don't blame poor old Euell for your failings. He has enough of his own. :-)

Post by rammiepie May 15, 2014 (75 of 78)
Euell Neverno said:

Oh, and don't blame poor old Euell for your failings. He has enough of his own. :-)

Don't we ALL.......

The Catholics blame it on Original Sin.....but there's nothing original about sin....er....shortcomings.

Perhaps putting Cristal in the bong might help ;) !

Ball FOUR......I walk.

Post by Fitzcaraldo215 May 15, 2014 (76 of 78)
It is not about thought police. Lord knows this site is extremely, some might say excessively, tolerant of wide and often divergent or off topic subjects. It is about courtesy to other participants who are here for certain interests. I do not think that should include someone's personal stream of consciousness on anything and everything that is of interest to only them.

We have already had much discussion on the BD-V inclusion issue. I am for it. But, I think it is much too soon to consider such a move. Zeus and his minions already have a lot on their plate from trying to absorb BD-A. I do not think harping on it will move it forward. However, the door is always open for you to start your own new thread on the topic or on music servers or anything else relevant to the site, its current or future scope and to its fellow participants. It is a community, not a free for all, hopefully not, that is.

Post by zeus May 15, 2014 (77 of 78)
Fitzcaraldo215 said:

It is about courtesy to other participants who are here for certain interests. I do not think that should include someone's personal stream of consciousness on anything and everything that is of interest to only them.

Personally I think we could do with less crap on this forum. It's a turn-off to many ... I know because I get complaints. Two thirds of the size of the database here is attributed to just this forum. How much of it is actually worth reading? It seems to be getting less and less. All I'm asking for is for people to think before they post and ask themselves whether others coming here (because they're interested in the topics in the banner above) would want to read it.

Post by Lunna May 15, 2014 (78 of 78)
zeus said:

Personally I think we could do with less crap on this forum. It's a turn-off to many ... I know because I get complaints. Two thirds of the size of the database here is attributed to just this forum. How much of it is actually worth reading? It seems to be getting less and less. All I'm asking for is for people to think before they post and ask themselves whether others coming here (because they're interested in the topics in the banner above) would want to read it.

Well said!

Page: prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Closed