add to wish list | library

7 of 7 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the paid links below. As an Amazon Associate SA-CD.net earns from qualifying purchases.

amazon.co.uk
amazon.com
amazon.de

amazon.fr

CDJapan

Discussion: Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 - Jochum

Page: prev 1 2

Post by fausto K October 29, 2013 (11 of 17)
akiralx said:

Haitink's 1977 Philips version of the Seventh would be ideal on SACD!

agreed, but Haitink's recent recording with the CSO Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 - Haitink is a very good alternative!

or Wand with the Berliner
Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 - Wand

Post by JohnProffitt October 30, 2013 (12 of 17)
samayoeruorandajin said:

Unless, of course, you value a fantastic Brucknerian, i.e., Jochum, if when compared to the 3 you mention can be determined to be head and shoulders above them all in regards to performance. A modern recording does not always equal a reason to buy it. Some recordings are classics for a reason.

Look, I admire Jochum. He (along with Haitink) was one of the true pioneers of the stereo age in bringing Bruckner to a greater public. Was he unique or extraordinary in the Seventh? IMO, no -- a very fine performance, absolutely. My biggest gripe is the extortionist pricing of the Japanese cult marketing gurus with this material, not that anyone places a special, high value on Eugen Jochum. If you want to hear the standout interpretations from his DG set, I recommend the 1st, 4th and 9th first of all. Just my $.02 worth....

Post by samayoeruorandajin October 30, 2013 (13 of 17)
The Japanese "cult" market your refer to is based on your own determination of what something "should" cost based on US prices and values. The Japanese market is significantly more expensive and costs are based on the overall price structure of most everything in that country. Most similar jobs in Japan pay double what they would pay in the US, for example, and the cost of living is adjusted accordingly.

Post by Claude October 31, 2013 (14 of 17)
Yes, but with the introduction of SHM-SACDs, SACD prices have increased significantly (4500 Yen, compared to 3000 Yen before), and this has nothing to do with value for money. SACD is now a terribly overpriced item like audiophile cables.

Post by stvnharr October 31, 2013 (15 of 17)
Claude said:

Yes, but with the introduction of SHM-SACDs, SACD prices have increased significantly (4500 Yen, compared to 3000 Yen before), and this has nothing to do with value for money. SACD is now a terribly overpriced item like audiophile cables.

So what!
There is nothing making you obligated to buy them.
Complaining about the cost of something is .........

Post by Claude November 1, 2013 (16 of 17)
If all SACDs were sold as $50 SHM-SACDs, the format would have been dead a long time ago, for lack of pressing plants and new playback equipment. Nobody would invest into a format that only sells a few hundred copies per title.

Post by stvnharr November 1, 2013 (17 of 17)
Claude said:

If all SACDs were sold as $50 SHM-SACDs, the format would have been dead a long time ago, for lack of pressing plants and new playback equipment. Nobody would invest into a format that only sells a few hundred copies per title.

The key word here is "if".
The price of shm-sacd's is not the market setter for all sacd's.

There is little comment, except from industry people, about how the price of new recordings is such that the sacd content is essentially given away so that the labels can compete with the rbcd market. Everyone loves something for free.

One only reads complaints about the price of Japanese specialty reissues.

Page: prev 1 2

Closed