add to wish list | library

12 of 13 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the paid links below. As an Amazon Associate SA-CD.net earns from qualifying purchases.

amazon.ca
amazon.co.uk
amazon.com
amazon.de

amazon.fr
amazon.it

jpc

Discussion: This England - Kalmar

Page: prev 1 2 3

Post by hiredfox January 29, 2013 (21 of 29)
wehecht said:

The back cover of the disc says 20 bit. Nonetheless the sound is certainly adequate to appreciate the performance (I've no doubt the new Pentatone is better), and the fillers are wonderful. But John that bit about the best orchestra in the world circa 1999 is just a tad over the top. I imagine some folks in Berlin, Amsterdam, Chicago, Boston et al might beg to differ. Still and all it's nice to see a posting that's not about emerging technology or a ridiculously priced reissue of a middle aged recording.

Thanks Bill.

Post by Beagle January 29, 2013 (22 of 29)
Shame on those audience members coughing...
CBC Radio just reported that researchers have done the numbers and people cough MORE when listening to classical music than otherwise.

Post by hiredfox January 30, 2013 (23 of 29)
Beagle said:

CBC Radio just reported that researchers have done the numbers and people cough MORE when listening to classical music than otherwise.

I guess the 'researcher' in this case was the studio runner, being the only other person to hand for an 'opinion' at that moment?

Doh!

Post by Polly Nomial January 30, 2013 (24 of 29)
Strangely Chandos are of two minds about this issue (and have changed their documentation) on http://www.theclassicalshop.net/Details.aspx?CatalogueNumber=CHAN%205004S. Maybe the rears are 20/44 and the fronts 24/48?!?

Post by Polly Nomial January 30, 2013 (25 of 29)
There's an interview about the coughing issue with the author & pianist Susan Tomes (many will know her award winning Hyperion discs with Domus, the Gaudier Ensemble, and the Florestan Trio) here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21242727

Post by samayoeruorandajin February 21, 2013 (26 of 29)

Post by nucaleena February 21, 2013 (27 of 29)
A number of posts so far refer to extraneous noises on this disc being very distracting. Could someone give me some sort of idea of how distracting? I'd like to get the disc but I've got very accurate speakers and v. good hearing and I get irked by coughs, humming conductors, too many banging or scraping noises etc.

Post by hiredfox February 23, 2013 (28 of 29)
nucaleena said:

A number of posts so far refer to extraneous noises on this disc being very distracting. Could someone give me some sort of idea of how distracting? I'd like to get the disc but I've got very accurate speakers and v. good hearing and I get irked by coughs, humming conductors, too many banging or scraping noises etc.

Not very distracting - in fact not distracting at all.

Post by tailspn February 23, 2013 (29 of 29)
hiredfox said:

Not very distracting - in fact not distracting at all.

+1

Hi John!

Page: prev 1 2 3

Closed