add to wish list | library

38 of 40 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the paid links below. As an Amazon Associate SA-CD.net earns from qualifying purchases.

amazon.co.uk
amazon.com
amazon.de

amazon.fr
amazon.it

Discussion: Rodrigo: Concierto de Aranjuez - The Romeros

Page: prev 1 2

Post by Claude January 24, 2014 (11 of 15)
canonical said:

A standard ebay auction (without reserve) is essentially a forced sale: if the seller is lucky and a large number of interested participants happen to be following it, the seller will get the 'market' price i.e. the price at which demand and supply intersect. But, what usually happens is that only 1 or 2 bargain hunters bother to turn up (because it is a lot of work checking out what is on offer on ebay at any time), and most discs, if offered with a low starting price will usually sell for that low starting price ...

Yes, but that doesn't happen with rare items for which there is a high demand. There will always be enough people who have an Ebay search alert running and who will bid on the disc.

But sometimes a bidder gets a bargain on a rare SACD because the seller was clueless with his listing and made it look like a CD.

Post by classicrecordings January 24, 2014 (12 of 15)
I am hoping that Pentatone picks up the torch and issues improved re-masters for these and the entire Mercury catalogue.

Then hopefully, I can sell all the first issue Mercury's for big money before anyone catches on. ;-))

Post by Jonalogic January 24, 2014 (13 of 15)
classicrecordings said:

I am hoping that Pentatone picks up the torch and issues improved re-masters for these and the entire Mercury catalogue.

Then hopefully, I can sell all the first issue Mercury's for big money before anyone catches on. ;-))

What a good idea. But I wonder who actually owns and has the rights to the Mercs? I suspect it may be Universal, but who knows nowadays?

My favourite Merc for the treatment? The Dorati/LSO Prokofiev Scythian Suite and Love of three Oranges. Stupendous...

But I ain't going to sell my Merc vinyl, whatever happens!

Post by Ubertrout January 24, 2014 (14 of 15)
Jonalogic said:

What a good idea. But I wonder who actually owns and has the rights to the Mercs? I suspect it may be Universal, but who knows nowadays?

Mercury was acquired by Philips, and the MLP team did a number of recordings for Philips using the same techniques (E.G. the Richter Liszt concerti). Philips ended up being swallowed by Universal after a series of acquisitions.

Post by Jonalogic January 24, 2014 (15 of 15)
Ubertrout said:

Mercury was acquired by Philips, and the MLP team did a number of recordings for Philips using the same techniques (E.G. the Richter Liszt concerti). Philips ended up being swallowed by Universal after a series of acquisitions.

Thanks, makes sense. Wonder if we'll ever see any 3CH Mercs in download?

Page: prev 1 2

Closed