Thread: New Japanese Miles Davis remasterings - are they better?

Page: prev 1 2 3 4

Post by Disbeliever August 31, 2009 (31 of 39)
People I speak to in Hi-Fi Shops say Miles Davis A kind of Blue is very much overated. SACD has failed for many reasons, mostly overpriced especially in the UK. lack of support from Hi-Fi magazines. In the UK it is virtually impossible to find a Hi-Fi Shop that will demonstrate SACD. They just do not want to know. Also I do not agree with Teresa Goodwins views .There are good & bad SACD's exactly the sames as with RB CD's. I find MCH SACD better than Stereo SACD so would not advise anybody to buy the Marantz SA-7S1 or the latest Black Pearl. The best buy is the Sony XA5400ES especially via HDMI into a low jitter receiver Sony was the first with the low jitter Burr Brown DAC and now followed by Pioneer & Onkyo.' Marantz No Longer Matters' IMO.

Post by DSD August 31, 2009 (32 of 39)
azure said:

.. if there actually were more SACDs of other GENRES.. I think SACD would be a far more popular format... just my opinion...

Agreed we need more of the music that the other 95% of the world listens to: Rock, Pop, Rap, Hip-Hop, Alternative, Country and Western, Alt Country, Folk, World, etc.

Acoustic Classical and Jazz usually sound mighty fine on SACD, but if we ever want SACD to be a household name, we need to appear to the other 95% of music listeners.

Since SACD is about sound quality as well as multichannel there are superb sounding recordings in many of the other genres, especially Country and Western and Folk. Some Rock music can also sound amazing, but most was not really made for hi-fi.

Post by Disbeliever August 31, 2009 (33 of 39)
Quite frankly in my opinion it is mostly Classical music, easy listening & some Jazz that benefits from SACD. With Pop. Rock Blues Hip Hop Country & Western etc., you could probably not tell the difference as to how it was recorded that is why SACd will probably never catch on for the masses.

Post by Beagle August 31, 2009 (34 of 39)
RWetmore said: Has anyone heard the earlier ones and the new ones?
Could you be more specific

Miles Davis: Sketches of Spain and
Miles Davis: Sketches of Spain

Are those the 'old' and 'new' respectively?

Post by stvnharr August 31, 2009 (35 of 39)
Beagle said:

Could you be more specific

Miles Davis: Sketches of Spain and
Miles Davis: Sketches of Spain

Are those the 'old' and 'new' respectively?

YES

Post by azure August 31, 2009 (36 of 39)
DSD said:

.........Since SACD is about sound quality as well as multichannel there are superb sounding recordings in many of the other genres......

Well its beyond me why PF/EMI have not released "The Wall" on SACD.

Post by stvnharr August 31, 2009 (37 of 39)
azure said:

Well its beyond me why PF/EMI have not released "The Wall" on SACD.

Is this thread about Miles Davis remasters?

Post by azure August 31, 2009 (38 of 39)
bringing the thread back on track :-P

Strange, "Big Fun" was not given the DSD-remastering treatment and released as a hybrid in Japan..

According to the database at this site, the SACD was only released in the US.

"On The Corner" is a good album but out of the two I would prefer "Big Fun."

Post by stvnharr September 1, 2009 (39 of 39)
Here is a link to all of the Sony Mastersound Miles Davis reissues.

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Mastersound.html

Page: prev 1 2 3 4

Closed