Thread: Surround Speakers and Sub Ideal for MCH SACD Listening

Page: prev 1 2 3

Post by Iain June 9, 2012 (21 of 26)
FunkyMonkey said:

Totally agree, all I am saying is that missing out the centre channel because of enforced austerity, for example, is not a limitation that will ruin your enjoyment of MCH recordings.

Quite right, that.

However, when I finally decide to purchase a new AV cabinet, rest assured it will have a spot where I can easily locate a centre channel speaker under TV. Until then, my 4.1 system will do nicely. : )

Post by Windsurfer June 10, 2012 (22 of 26)
FunkyMonkey said:

I would certainly disagree. Unlike movies where the centre channel is used extensively for dialogue, with SACD, even for 5.1, I do not think you would lose a lot. I do think he should get one, but if budget limited, then, best to optimize more critical components.

Perhaps you would think it only a subtle thing, but I have found that some classical recordings use the center channel in a way that reveals just how sub-optimal the process of recording 4 channel surround really is. Stereo, meaning 2 channel, and 4 channel recordings can be very effective.

For shear realism, that center channel is necessary.

I think it is a real shame that some labels, LSO Live for example, and San Francisco Live do not make proper use of it.

Post by ClassicalDJ July 18, 2012 (23 of 26)
Iain said:

If you enjoy organ music, then a quality, servo-based sub-woofer is essential to produce the low frequency fundamental tones that will make this type of music enjoyable to listen.

That said, you will not get such a sub-woofer for the amount you have listed. I suggest doubling that amount at least. If you feel that's too expensive, suggest you continue to save money until you can afford it. If you don't do this, you will kick yourself in future for having wasted money on inferior quality kit. You get what you pay for.

Does anyone else have input on a good sub for classical and organ music? Is a servo sub indeed the only way to go? If so, what are some servo-based make/models around $1000?

Post by Iain July 18, 2012 (24 of 26)
ClassicalDJ said:

Does anyone else have input on a good sub for classical and organ music? Is a servo sub indeed the only way to go? If so, what are some servo-based make/models around $1000?

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products.html

...are beauties, especially F12SE.

Post by AmonRa July 19, 2012 (25 of 26)
Acoustic suspension subbass, servo or not, has 5 dB less output than bass reflex with same driver volume velocity. Servo can lessen distortions, but can not add to the output.

One word: Genelec 7071A, nothing less really works with organ music.

Post by hooperthom July 19, 2012 (26 of 26)

Page: prev 1 2 3

Closed